Learn more about adoption
We understand that going through the family building process can be scary and overwhelming.
Here are some resources that can help guide you through the process and your options.
+ Adoption & Child Welfare
- Academy of Adoption and Assisted Reproduction Attorneys (AAAA) - National professional organization of 470 attorneys, law professors, and judges who are recognized as Fellows and have extensive experience in the practice of adoption law, ART law, or both.
- The Annie E. Casey Foundation - A private philanthropy devoted to developing a brighter future for millions of children at risk of poor educational, economic, social and health outcomes.
- Association of Administrators of the Interstate Compact on the Placement of Children (AAICPC) - Resources for ICPC, which is the uniform legal and administrative procedures governing the interstate placement of children and is statutory law in all fifty-two member jurisdictions and a binding contract between member jurisdictions.
- AdoptUSKids - National project that supports child welfare systems and connects children in foster care with families.
- Child Welfare Information Gateway - Adoption Resources - Child Welfare Information Gateway promotes the safety, permanency, and well-being of children, youth, and families by connecting child welfare, adoption, and related professionals as well as the public to information, resources, and tools covering topics on child welfare, child abuse and neglect, out-of-home care, adoption, and more. Part of the Children's Bureau under the U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services.
- Child Welfare Information Gateway - Infant Safe Haven Laws - Information on state laws that provide safe places for parents to relinquish newborn infants, known as "safe haven laws".
- Child Welfare Information Gateway - National Foster Care & Adoption Directory - The National Foster Care & Adoption Directory offers contact information for State child welfare officials, programs, organizations, and services with a focus on foster care, permanency, and adoption. Searchable by state and topic.
- Children’s Bureau Adoption & Foster Care Statistics - Collected by Adoption and Foster Care Analysis and Reporting System (AFCARS).
- Creating A Family - Nonprofit with national infertility, adoption & foster care education and support.
- Dave Thomas Foundation for Adoption - Nonprofit foster care adoption organization that finds homes for foster care children across the US & Canada.
- The Donaldson Adoption Institute - Organization that provides independent and objective adoption research, education, and advocacy organization that addressed the needs of birth parents, adopted people, adoptive parents, the people who love them, and the professionals that serve them.
- Helpusadopt.org - National 501(c)(3) financial grant program that helps couples/individuals (regardless of ethnicity, gender, marital status, religion, or sexual orientation) with the cost of their adoptions by awarding grants up to $15,000.
- ICPC State Pages - ICPC Directory and resources for each jurisdiction with administator contact information and other information information.
- National Council for Adoption - Adoption Advocacy and Awareness to meet diverse needs of children, birth parents, adopted individuals, adoptive families, and all those touched by adoption through global advocacy, education, research, legislative action, and collaboration.
- North American Council on Adoptable Children (NACAC) - Nonprofit that supports, educates, inspires, and advocates so adoptive families thrive and every child in foster care has a permanent, safe, loving family.
+ Fertility & Assisted Reproductive Technology (ART)
- ABA Model Act Governing Assisted Reproduction - 2019, by the American Bar Association
- Jewish Family & Children's Services - The Fertility Fund: A Gift From the Heart - Need based fund for Jewish individuals and couples in Philadelphia region to help subsidize cost of fertility treatments.
- National Embryo Donation Academy - Educational courses on embryo adoption.
- Pay it Forward Fertility Foundation - Nonprofit that helps reduce the cost of fertility treatments by providing grants and educating couples about infertility.
- Resolve - The National Infertility Association, a nonprofit with local chapters that provide advocacy and information on infertility related concerns.
+ lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ)
- Family Equality Council – Nonprofit with a mission is to advance legal and lived equality for LGBTQ families, and for those who wish to form them, through building community, changing hearts and minds, and driving policy change.
- LGBT Equality Alliance - Nonprofit serving LGBTQ+ community by facilitating programs and collaborating with local organization to host social, health, education, and outreach activities in Chester County, PA.
- Massoni Center - LGBTQ Health & Well-Being – Philadelphia centers dedicated to meeting the health and wellness of the LGBTQ communities.
- Men Having Babies – Nonprofit providing surrogacy parenting advice and support for gay men worldwide.
- Our Family Coalition - Nonprofit that advances equity for LGBTQ families with children through support, education, and advocacy.
- Philadelphia Family Pride – Nonprofit membership organization for LGBTQ+ led families in the greater Philadelphia region.
+ Pennsylvania Families
- ChildLine - Pennsylvania resources to report child abuse or neglect, and information on mandated reporters and clearances.
- Community Legal Services of Philadelphia - Legal service nonprofit that provides free civil legal assitance to low-income Philadelphians.
- Delaware Valley Adoption Council - Consortium of public and private agencies owrking together to promot and advance the cause of adoption through education, adoption awareness, and matching events in the Delaware Valley area.
- PA Legal Aid Network - The Pennsylvania Legal Aid Network (PLAN) is a statewide consortium of independent legal aid programs that provides civil legal assistance to low-income individuals and families. The Network is comprised of nine regional legal aid programs, providing legal assistance to eligible clients in every county in Pennsylvania, and six specialized legal aid programs, providing legal services in specialized areas of the law or to special groups of eligible clients.
- PA Law Help - PA Law Help helps low income individuals solve legal problems by providing information on civil legal issues and answers to many civil legal questions. This websites provides searchable helpful resources about legal rights, the law and the courts, and how to locate legal assistance and forms that may be available to help you resolve your problem.
- Philadelphia VIP - Legal service nonprofit that provides legal services for low-income Philadelphians related to shelter, employment, financial stability, education, and health.
- Statewide Adoption and Permanency Network (SWAN) - PA state program that serves children in the custody of county children and youth agencies. It is a cooprerative effort of county children and youth agencies, juvenile court judges, foster and adoptive parents, private adoption agencies, the Pennsylvania Adoption Exchange and many others, working together on behalf of children who need permanent homes.
+Adoption Tax Credit
- Adoption Tax Credit Advocacy Kit by the National Council for Adoption